header

header

Tuesday 13 June 2017

LIVING THE CONTENTED LIFE

LIGHT FOR THE WAY
(Devotional)

Tuesday 13th June 2017


TOPIC: LIVING THE CONTENTED LIFE

TEXT:  "I have learned the secret of being content."(Philippians 4 12).


Living the contented life is the cure for all kinds of vices we face in our world today. Many a society is ruled and dominated by greed forgetting that what truly satisfy the soul is not how much of things we have but how much of God we have.



 Sometimes contentment means:
1)      Learning to be happy with less. A hard charging executive decided to spend a few days in monastery. ‘I hope your stay is a blessed one' said the monk who showed him to his cell. 'If you need anything let us know. We will teach you how to live without it.’ Happiness isn't getting what you want; it’s enjoying what God has given you. Paul said he learned to be content, 'whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.'

2)     Remind yourself that things could be worse. I read the story of a dog called snoopy. He was lying in his dog house one Thanksgiving Day, mumbling about being stuck with dog food while all those humans got to be inside with the turkey, gravy and pumpkin pie. 'Of course, it could have been worse he reflected, " i could have been born a turkey". Reminding yourself it could have been worse is a powerful developer if contentment.

3)     Understand that what you seek is spiritual, not material. Paul says to beware of 'greed, which is idolatry'(Colossians 3:5). Our problem isn't just what we want more, it’s      that the condition which underlies all our wanting is that we really want God. As Augustine said, 'Our souls will never rest, until they rest in thee' why would God let us feel at home, when this world is not our home? Our dissatisfaction, if we let it, can sharpen our spiritual hunger and cause us to pray, ' your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven (Matthew 6:10).

WORD CONFESSION
I am an evidence that Jesus Christ is alive and at work. I declare today that I am filled with fullness of God. I am living in divine satisfaction of the things of the Spirit in Jesus name

PRAYER POINTS
*Father thank you for your faithfulness and mercy over my life and family in Jesus name
*O Lord God fill me with your fullness this day in Jesus name
*O Lord God, my life is available; create in me the hunger and the thirst that will draw my life to you in Jesus name
*My Father and my God, take me to new heights spiritually in Jesus name
*O Lord God, make me a vessel of your glory in Jesus name
*Lord God, I receive the power to live the contented life in Jesus name
*Thank you Lord for hearing my prayers in Jesus name


1 YEAR BIBLE READING PLAN
Joshua 17, Joshua 18  John 1:29-51    Proverbs 10:31-32, Proverbs 11:1-8

SUCCESS QUOTE FOR TODAY

“But godliness with contentment is great gain.”

-The Bible KJV

THE PROPHETIC WORD FOR TODAY

The Sovereign Lord says today that I am giving you
beauty for ashes. I am pouring out the oil of
joy for the spirit of heaviness. This is your

appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE BLESSEDNESS OF DIVINE FELLOWSHIP

LIGHT FOR THE WAY (Daily Devotional) Friday 29th May 2020 TOPIC: THE BLESSEDNESS OF DIVINE FELLOWSHIP TEXT: "I will be there God, and t...